Monday, July 16, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 126

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
In case you’ve missed it, let me just tell you about my irrational fear of the phone. It’s ridiculous. I don’t like making or receiving calls primarily because I can’t see the person I’m interacting with. I can’t watch their body language or facial expressions in order to evaluate how they are responding to me. If given ANY time to think about a phone call I have to make, I generally work myself into a nervous frenzy.

On Saturday, I realized the adjusted hormone therapy plan I was on was NOT working. I knew I needed to head into the Medicine Shoppe this morning to pick up a female hormone panel kit so that I could be retested. I thought that I would talk to my OBGYN at my appointment in August about having her make the official order for the test. It’s a 30 day process and you have to start it at the beginning of your cycle, so I did not want to wait a month to begin.

Dave told me to call her today and have her fax the order to him. Wait… what? I thought I had successfully dodged that phone call. Want to know what’s more horrifying than having a fear of the phone? Telling people that you don’t want to make a phone call because of it. UGH! So I said nothing and agreed to make the phone call.

I tried to have the receptionist at the doctor’s office take a message to have the nurse call me. This woman was particularly chatty, so she asked me a few extra questions. Come on!

I had to take a quick shower. Of course I almost hyperventilated trying to decide if I should chance getting the return call while I had soap in my hair. I decided to go for it.

The nurse called me back long after I got out of the shower and before I had to leave the house… Praise God! Even though I LOVE my doctor and her nurses, it is still so awkward to talk about alternative hormone therapies. I assume it’s because I have this strange need to give them too much information. At any rate, in spite of sounding like a nervous lunatic, I think I got my point across. I’m now waiting to hear back from the nurse with more questions OR from the Medicine Shoppe with the info. Because perimenopause isn’t challenging enough, my gets more complicated with phone calls.

So I’m not entirely sure if this made any sense at all. Between the whack-a-doodle hormone situation I’ve got going on and today’s PHONE CALLS, my brain isn’t working as it should. So if you get nothing else from this, know that I’m uncomfortable today and I’m not running away from it.

Are you facing your uncomfortable today? Or are you running away from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment