Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Election




Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: 

In spite of the risk of being bombarded with negativity, I am going to be uncomfortable and share a few thoughts on today’s election. So here we go…

As Americans, we are blessed to enjoy the freedom to vote for those who govern our great country. Why? Because countless men and women fought and many even died to give us that right.

I am saddened by the ugliness that many show in response to their sacrifice. Social media has become so littered with hatred and negativity that it's embarrassing. People calling each other stupid for backing a different candidate. Candidates bashing each other and being cruel in their campaigns. It’s all just too ridiculous.

In talking to my 6-year-old about the election, I explained to him that my presidential vote was going to the person whom I agreed with the most. The other person was a good person with good intentions, but I don’t agree with everything he stands for. But no matter who gets elected, I will be kind and support him because he will be our president.

Why can’t we agree to disagree… respectfully?

Today, I pray you vote. Don’t vote in anger. Don’t vote in spite. But vote for the people whose policies you agree with most. And if they don’t get elected, support those who do. We live in a great country that deserves respect. Let’s stop acting like spoiled brats. Instead, let’s act like people who deserve the respect we seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment