Thursday, October 11, 2012

Little White Crosses



Little white crosses outside a local church.

I hate them. And I’m pretty sure Jesus isn’t a fan either. Why? Because although there are good intentions behind them, I don’t think they are the message He would want to get across. Let me explain…

If you’ve read my blog, you probably know that I had an abortion when I was 19. I also surrendered my life to Christ several years later. I openly talk about my experiences because I want people to know that no matter what they have done, there is nothing that can keep them separated from the love of God. His grace cannot only heal wounds, but it can enable people to live full lives in spite of the earthly consequences of the choices they have made. God’s love for us and the sacrifice Jesus made for us are beyond our understanding, yet they are freely available to everyone… everywhere.

That’s NOT the message those little white crosses send. Those crosses are a judgmental reminder that serves as a barrier keeping “sinners” from entering churches and meeting the Jesus that died for their sins.

I get that they are supposed to be a memorial for the babies that have died through abortion. But if people are really trying to honor the memory of those babies, shouldn’t they do whatever it takes to make the babies’ mothers want to go into those churches and meet Jesus? I promise you that those women are not likely to step over the silent little picket line to go inside because they assume that they are not welcome.

Abortion is an ugly issue. It is NOT a black and white one. And although there is no doubt in my mind that God hates it, there is also no doubt in my mind that He loves those who get and give abortions. Just like He loves liars, addicts, gossips, and people who are mean. While we live in this broken, messed up world, we need to figure out how to let Christ’s love be louder than our personal dislike of other people’s sins.

Take down the crosses.

Little White Crosses: A Follow Up

Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom

No comments:

Post a Comment