Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Our Friend Was Dating a Serial Rapist: Installment #2



I went to high school in a time when we did not have cell phones or Facebook. We didn’t have to worry about pictures of us engaging in illegal activity surfacing on our parents’ or coaches’ computers. Our biggest concern was staying sober enough to outrun the cops especially when we were in uniform.

Having worked in youth ministry for almost a decade, I have often heard adults talk about how awful drugs and alcohol are. This drives me nuts… hang on, stay with me. The truth is that getting drunk and high is fun. If it wasn’t, people wouldn’t do it. Tell me I’m wrong. BUT what is also true is that losing control of your mind and your ability to reason oftentimes results in bad choices with horrible consequences. There is a reason why it’s illegal for kids – whose brains are not fully developed – to drink. And there is a reason why it is illegal to smoke pot. 

As you will learn from my story, the fun is NOT worth the consequences… so don’t do it. And if you think it can’t happen to you… you are a fool – just like I was. Because I share my story, people share their stories with me. Trust me, it CAN and eventually WILL happen to you.

The Week-Long Party

We were so excited when Pete announced that he was going to have a party throughout the entire week surrounding July 4, 1992. At the time, he was living with some relative. That relative was going on vacation and we were going to have a blast. I believe the party started on Friday, July 3rd. We were there every day.

The Set-Up

On Tuesday, July 7, Ashley and I went to the party after work. Tina was working that night. Jenny and Lisa were not there. Ashley and I did not intend to stay long, but there was no way we were going to miss a day of this.

Shortly after arriving, Pete challenged me to a drinking contest. He was going to match me shot for shot of Everclear. Not familiar with Everclear? Well, it’s a nasty hard liquor that is so strong it makes vodka seem like water. We did between 8 and 12 shots in less than 30 minutes.

What was I thinking? Well, I was a tough girl who didn’t back down from a challenge. I could hang with the boys and I was proud of it. Now let’s talk about the stupidity of that statement…

You see, Pete wasn’t shooting Everclear. He was shooting water. Ashley and I didn’t know it, but Pete and some of the boys did. When you consume that much alcohol that quickly, you don’t get drunk right away. You feel in control until all of a sudden you are on-the-floor-out-of-your-mind-incapacitated drunk. Aren’t you impressed? At the time, I certainly thought everyone would be.

Just so you don’t think I was a complete idiot, let me clarify a few things for you:
  • I was an AP Honor Roll student who had just graduated at the top of her class.
  • This wasn’t my first party. I was NOT a lightweight.
  • Pete was our friend. And he was a top athlete who was well-respected by the students and the faculty at our school.
  • We were with friends, so we thought we were safe.
We were so naive.



Previous Installments:

2 comments:

  1. >There is a reason why it’s illegal for kids – >whose brains are not fully developed – to drink. >And there is a reason why it is illegal to smoke >pot.

    That is the silliest thing I have heard. Do you actually believe that?
    You can go kill and die in any war at 18, but you can't have a cold beer with your hot wings! C'mon, recreational drinking isn't about an under developed brain as much as an over-inflated ego.
    It has been well known to men that vodka loosens women up and it's been well known to women that vodka loosens them up. I know someone right now that has been *raped* several times; yet, she will drink vodka with several men. Is it always rape? I mean why not drink at home and alone.
    You can kill someone at 18 and even drunkenness will not excuse your crime. There is nothing magical about the age of 21! As far as development; well final development - both mental and physical- occurs at about the age of 25.
    Should this be the age for all consent? Military, college, employment? Or just for careless recreational drinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing that you are someone who has sex with drunk women. I'm allowing your post to be published because I think your ignorance speaks for itself.

      Delete