Thursday, August 30, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 170

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
I put milk in my son's super-cool Lightening McQueen thermos this morning. I asked him if he had any problems opening this one. All of sudden, he burst into tears and said he was embarrassed to drink out of the thermos. All of the other kids have milk cartons and he doesn't want them to think he has water. What?!?!?!

When I pick him up from school everyday, he begs for his water. He's super thirsty and can't wait until we get home to have a drink. I've been trying to find out why he's not drinking anything at lunch. I've even sent juice boxes that come home unopened. It took NINE days for him to tell me what is going on! Oh.my.goodness!!!!

We don't get milk from school because it's not organic. Call me a tree hugging freak, but the regular milk has hormones in it that don't need to be in my kids. We haven't purchased the organic milk boxes because they are insanely expensive. Instead, we have milk at breakfast, after school snack and dinner. 

Guess what my daughter and I hunted down today? Seriously, we went to the hippie store... no organic milk boxes. (Yes, I know there is some controversy over the warm milk. But it's got to be better than the hormone milk, right?) Meijer... $8.99 for 6 milks - Are you kidding me? Target... $3.29 for 3 milks. Walmart... nothing. Schnucks... nothing. And the shipping online ruins any savings I might find for buying in bulk. UGH!

I need to talk to him about it some more tonight. I'm just beside myself about what to do for my socially anxious baby boy. First it was the need to be in the front of the line before school. Then it was the embarrassment over having Kleenex in his back pocket by his bottom. Now it's the fear that people will think he's drinking water. AND he didn't tell me any of this, I have had to jump to conclusions to find out! 

I wanted to call in sick this morning because the sore throat that I've had for a week is getting worse. Who knew that would be the least of my worries today? If it weren't for the fact that I have to take my kids to soccer practice and then go to the Open House at school, I would totally collapse on the floor and have a good ugly cry. But I don't want to re-do my make-up. I've wasted enough time today.

Does anyone else have a socially anxious child who excels in school? What do you do with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment