Thursday, December 13, 2012

Are You Missing Out On An Amazing Opportunity?


Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom

I’ve REALLY wanted to write this post for a while, but I have hesitated because I don’t want to make anyone feel bad. I feel so compelled to write it, so I’m just going to trust that you will get where I’m coming from. Here goes.

I grew up with a mom who volunteered for everything she could at my school. I always knew that I would do the same for my kids. I also always assumed that EVERY other parent would do the same. Yeah, not so much.

I spend 4½ hours each week in my son’s kindergarten class while my daughter is in preschool. I also organize his holiday parties and help with the holiday activities at my daughter’s preschool. I can do that because we own a construction company. I do the books and have the flexibility to do my job when the kids are sleeping or when I can steal a few moments here and there. I’m not telling you this to be a martyr. I’m telling you this because I want you to know what I’ve learned from this experience.

Here’s a few things each parent should know about volunteering in his/her child’s class:

  • When they are little, having a parent come to class makes your kid feel special.
  • It’s an opportunity to get to know the kids that your kids are hanging out with.
  • It allows you to get to know the teachers that are responsible for YOUR kids 6½ hour each day, 5 days each week.
  • You get to love on other kids that don’t always get enough love at home. In turn, you become a safe adult in their lives.
  • Teachers barely have enough time to teach our babies everything they need to know. Your presence helps them in ways you can’t image.

I’ve talked at length with my son’s teachers about the fact that more parents aren’t in the classroom. These are the conclusions I’ve drawn:

  • Some parents work and their schedules just won’t allow them to volunteer.
  • Some parents are simply overwhelmed by life and can’t handle adding one more thing.
  • Some parents just have no clue that they CAN volunteer in their child’s class.

I totally believe those are all valid reasons. But I have some ideas that might help you in each case.

  • If you can’t physically get into the classroom, see what you can do from home. Ask the teacher if she has any cutting to do or stapling or whatever. Ask her for ideas.
  • If you can afford to buy stuff for the parties… do it. Shoot have your kid help you pick out holiday napkins at the dollar store. EVERY kid that brings something to class to share feels special.
  • If you have the flexibility, have lunch with your kid at school each quarter. My husband just did this and said all of the kids thought it was fun to have him there.
  • If you didn’t realize that you could help IN the classroom, it’s not too late! Contact your kid’s teacher. See how they can use you. I cut, copy, help kids read, help with art projects, hang papers on the wall, and so much more.

Let’s be clear about something: I was a YOUTH pastor. Small people scare me. Drunk, high, pregnant teenagers are no big deal to me. But snotty nosed kids who can’t read scare the living daylights out of me. Oh and I hate new stuff. And talking to people I don’t know makes me want to cry. And germs… little people hugging me with germs. V.O.M.I.T!!! Please don’t use fear as an excuse NOT to do this. I haven’t. And I’m so glad. Because you know what? Those germy hugs make me feel special and I wouldn’t trade them for anything.

Our kids are only little once. I just really want you to experience this. It’s amazing! And it’s changing my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment