Monday, December 10, 2012

How Big Do You Need God to Be?




Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook:

During yesterday’s sermon, our pastor was asking us how big we need God to be. I was sooooo excited! People limiting God always drives me nuts. I’m not sure if I have some remarkable gift of faith or if I just know how much He can do because He rescued me from the pits of hell. Whatever the case, this was a sermon I EXCITED to hear. 

I’ll admit it… something like this went through my mind: Preach it, Dave! Boy, I sure hope So-and-so, What’s-her-name, and That-guy are listening! I think we all like to pretend we don't do that, but I'm pretty sure most of us do.

And that was that.

I’ve been feeling compelled to write again, but I just don’t have time. This morning, I was freaking out trying to come up with a way to fit my blog back into my insane schedule. AND I was trying to come up with something to write.

As the struggle to order my chaotic life ensued, I felt God trying to get my attention:
God: Can I talk to you for a moment?

Me: Not now. I’m too busy panicking and trying to be in control.

God: Clears throat. Perhaps if you come down off of your high horse, I might be of some assistance.

Me: Well, if you put it that way…

God: How big do you need Me to be?

Me: Huh? What are You talking about? You know I know You are huge! Why are you asking me that?

God: How big do you need me to be?

Me: Why do you keep asking me that? This is insulting.

God: Think how I feel. Now, how big do you need Me to be?

Me: …big enough to slow down time and speed me up. Big enough to slow down time and speed me up! Big enough to give me the energy to do what I need to do. Big enough to clear my mind so I can be super productive so I can be a better mom and wife. Big enough for me to realize I need You to be God and I need to get out of Your way.
Yep, it’s been that kind of morning.

Why is it easier for me to believe He can literally move the mountains than it is to allow Him to run my day? I hate when I get in His way.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that I'm So-and-so. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment