Friday, August 24, 2012

Wait, What Did She Say?

We went to kindergarten orientation last night. It was great to see our son's room and get a feel for what he will be learning this year.

When talking about the photocopied "books" that will be sent home for practice, the teacher said, "if you don't have books at home." Wait, what did she say? I mean, I know there are kids who don't have books, but I never really thought about the fact that there are kids THAT DON'T OWN BOOKS! It just breaks my heart.

So now, of course, I feel compelled to do something about it. Here's what I'm thinking:

I signed up to bring party favors to the Halloween party. Instead of wasting money on making something cute from Pinterest, I'm going to find a way to get real books into the hands of my son's classmates. Who am I fooling? I'm sure I'll include something crafty too, but these kids are going to get a book.

And I'm thinking my kids are going to use some of their profits from selling pumpkin muffins at our garage sale to buy books for Christmas.

I swear I'm learning as much if not more than my kid that's in school.

As Bigweld from the movie "Robots" says, "See a need, fill a need!" That's exactly what we are going to do.

Are you going to join us?

**How to make it happen: We probably spend at least $1 per kid when we put together a party favor for a school party... right? Well, you can buy $1 books through Scholastic Books. If you order online and enter your classroom code, your teacher will be able to get a book for the classroom FOR FREE. So for what you are already spending, you will get a book into the hands of each child and a book in the classroom. How awesome is this?



Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook:  

3 comments:

  1. The kids are on board for Operation Every Child Needs A Book! I just ordered 26 books for the Halloween party and we are looking forward to using some pumpkin muffin $ to buy some more for the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are doing this, reading is a very important value of mine. I used to be an Adult literacy tutor.
    I don't have a child in school, but I want to help buy books. I don't have a "classroom" code. Yet, I have a code for a free book ($5) from some cereal I bought recently as well as several $ worth of "Box Tops" would you be able to use any of these?

    Joewelch1972@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, Joe. I've always had a deep appreciation for the privilege of owning books... and being able to read them. I still have all of my favorites from when I was a child.

      I would love to use the code to buy a book for a kid at our school! And I would be happy to donate the Box Tops to our school as well. I will email you and we can figure out how to make it happen.

      Thank you so much!

      Delete