Monday, May 20, 2013

Life’s Lemonade Lesson #1



Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom


Life’s Lemonade Lesson #1: Go out of your way to be thankful and never miss an opportunity to lift someone up.

Like most parents, Adam and I have taught our kids to say please and thank you. Beyond telling them they should do it, we try to be a good example for them.

While in the hospital, he and I made a point to thank everyone that stepped into my room. I mean everyone EVERY TIME. When you are sick and in pain and vomiting it’s easy to get caught up in your own misery. But as I would step back and watch these men and women take care of me, I couldn’t help but be grateful. And I felt it was my duty to make sure everyone knew it. I mean not only were they bringing my meds, but these people emptied the potty hat in the toilet. They took care of my vomit. They brought me ice water when I was thirsty. They even emptied my trash.

But that’s their job, you say? So? I like when my kids thank me for feeding them even though it’s my job. Don’t you like to be thanked for the things you are expected to do?

And let me tell you it made a difference.

There was one gal who came into my room to clean it. She gathered the trash and headed for the door. I said, “Thank you so much!”

She looked at me funny and said, “I still have to mop the floor.”

“Oh, alright.”

When she was finished and leaving for good I said, “Thanks again!”

This time she looked back with a smile and replied, “You’re welcome!”

Based on her reaction, I’d think it’s safe to say she goes unnoticed most of the time.

My husband is a walking rolodex. He makes a point of learning everyone’s name… a skill that I am lacking and long to have. He NEVER missed a beat in the hospital. Nurses would bring me meds in the middle of the night. He would wake up out of a deep sleep and thank them by name. They were always astonished and always left with a smile.

While I can’t remember names, I can always find something to compliment a person for: cute hair, a pretty top, etc. I don't beat myself up over what I'm NOT good at. Rather, I focus at what I AM good at.

The nurse that helped me on my last day did NOT show up in a good mood, yet she desperately tried to be nice. 

I could tell she was struggling so I said, “I just wanted to let you know that everyone has been so kind to me while I’ve been here and I really appreciate it. I can only imagine how hard your job is. I thought you should know that you all have made this miserable situation more bearable. Thank you!”

I’m not exaggerating when I say you could visibly see some of the tension leave her face. She seemed a little lighter throughout the rest of the day.

We all like to be appreciated and acknowledged. And it’s so simple to thank and compliment the people who cross our paths. I’m so thankful God took the time to make this so clear to me this week. An easy way to thank God for His many blessings is to take the time to bless people.

Will you join me in finding ways to thank and uplift the people that come into our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment