Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Every Child Should Own A Book: WE DID IT!!

Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom

2 blog posts in 1 day!?!? What’s going on? Well, I was just too excited to wait to tell you about this one…

Do you remember when I freaked out because my son’s kindergarten teacher indicated that some of the kids in his school don’t own any books? And I just couldn’t handle it? So I suggested that instead of buying junk for school party treat bags, we should be purchasing the $1 books from Scholastic.

And then I had the crazy idea that EVERY student in my son’s school should own a book before the end of the year. So I had my kids sell an insane amount of pumpkin muffins, chocolate chip cookies and water at our garage sale. All of the money was set aside to buy $1 books. And then some of you generously donated some extra books to the cause.

Guess what? We were able to purchase close to 400 books – one for EVERY student in my son’s school!!!!! How cool is that???

And these are junk books, my friends. They are just books that are on sale. I purposely purchased books that were one grade higher than each class so that each child would have something challenging to read over the summer. And if the book is too much for a particular student, I figured it would serve as a good goal… to be able to read the book that they own.

Here are a sampling of the books.
My son’s teacher told me that the first graders were thrilled to own a chapter book. Some of them have not even been able to touch one yet, so they are excited to work on reading their very own chapter book.

Here is a thank you card we got from one of the classes. How fun!
Thank you… thank you for praying about this… thank you for donating… thank you for “buying muffins for Jesus!”

Now since we aren’t doing garage sales anymore, I have to come up with a creative way for my kids to earn money to buy books for next year’s classes…

No comments:

Post a Comment