Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Here's what I'm thinking...


I have spent my entire life suffering... First it was from migraines. Then I developed severe allergies and an auto-immune disease. And now I have the privilege of experiencing peri-menopause. Did I mention the OCD, anxiety & depression? I'm a lucky girl... I know. Add to that a sweet little boy who suffers from allergies and asthma AND a beautiful little girl who has had a very BAD attitude. And that's just in my household. Look outside and you see people dying from cancer; an epidemic of children diagnosed with ADD and autism; and people with other chronic conditions who are still suffering in spite of being over-medicated.

I've searched for help throughout my life. I have found "band-aids" for my symptoms from time to time, but have rarely found people who were really interested in helping me fix the problem. I could go on and on about what hasn't worked. But who really wants to listen to me whine? So here's what I have found that does work... 

  1. Eat healthy foods in proper portions (Do you know how many calories there are in cheese? Google it... it's frightening! Especially if you eat cheese like it was necessary for survival... like I did.) 
  2. Exercise regularly.
  3. Calories out have to be more than calories in.
  4. Food is meant to be FUEL... not your friend. (But you should totally enjoy what you love in moderation.)
  5. Artificial food coloring makes us crazy. And it's in EVERYTHING. Why do marshmallows need food coloring? Seriously?!?! And frozen waffles? And crescent rolls? After a week of removing artificial food coloring from our diets, my 3 year-old daughter went from being straight up mean to being the sweet little girl God created her to be. Don't believe me? Give her some red frosting and take her home with you... you'll see.
  6. God created all sorts of yummy things for us to eat that help us to be healthy. 
I know, I know... you've heard this all before. So did I. Now I apply it to my life and I feel SOOOOO much better.

Don't worry, I'm NOT a tree-hugging health nut. (Not that there is anything wrong with that... kinda wish I was sometimes.) Nor am I an expert. But I am realizing that what I put in my body determines how I feel. So here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to tell you what works for me and my family and maybe that will help someone else find something that works for them. I'll post recipes as I create them. Like the granola that I made this morning... which is super-yummy! And I'm sure a random opinion or two might show up from time to time, cuz let's face it, I have a few :) I have no idea what I'm doing, so don't hold your breath. But maybe this could be interesting...

OK, time to go back to being a mom. My daughter has been looking at her lunch for an hour. Hopefully I'll post the granola recipe tomorrow. Oh and please tell me if you are reading this or if I'm talking to myself... again. ;)

9 comments:

  1. I'm reading and I'm excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading and interested. Also, how did you find more free time that you don't know what to do with? I would love the secret to that!
    I am enjoying making a lot of foods for us that I would normally buy prepackaged. I feel better and know it is better for us.
    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa! Caryn... I should have indicated that I was being sarcastic. I have NO time. Free or otherwise. This just seemed like it could be fun. And how often do we do something fun for ourselves?

      Isn't it crazy how good you feel when you make something? We still use some prepackaged stuff, but I'm trying to find ways to make more.

      Delete
  3. For the record, my grammar is not as bad as it appears... but my editing must be :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading! I'm so happy you decided to do this blog. We started making (almost) everything from scratch/no processed foods about a year ago and I always love to find new recipes/inspiration. We love homemade granola, too--so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kristy! I feel inspired to keep finding more things to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally got logged into Blogger. Now I just have to figure out how to work it, but I love the fist post. I'm quite behind so this is going to take me awhile.

    ReplyDelete