Saturday, February 11, 2012

Worrying About the What Ifs

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom

Lately, my sister and I have been talking about worrying. I have spent the majority of my life worrying… about everything. What if they don’t like me? What if my husband gets in a wreck and dies? What if I can’t pay my bills? What if a tornado goes over our house while I’m 6 weeks pregnant with our first child? Oh wait, that one happened :/ What if? What if? What if?


In Matthew 6:34, Jesus said, “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.” (NLT) I’ve read that countless times and even had to memorize it in college. Each time I do, the conversation in my head goes something like this… “Yeah, yeah, yeah…don’t worry. Got it. But what if…? Where are my Anxiety drops?”


My sister shared a profound thought with me on the subject… There’s no point in worrying about something UNTIL it happens. If you worry about the “what if’s” you will spend more energy being miserable before the crisis happens than if you just dealt with the crisis when it happens. 


I know, I know… That’s what Jesus said! Maybe it’s just me, but sometimes I have to have things said a different way for me to truly get it. 


So whether you want to listen to Jesus or just take some advice from my sister, try to live in the moment. Worry stresses our bodies out and does NOT help us to stay healthy. And that’s our goal… right? We want to be healthy! Push those thoughts out of your head and live in the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insight! I too am a worrier over the craziest insignificant stuff... But I am learning through a new Bible study to get rid of the sins of my life and focus on "Him" more, which will not leave time for me to think or worry over the junk stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a worrier too, especially when it comes to finances and loved ones. I had to put this quote from Buddha underneath my computer at work as a daily reminder, "The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly." I have gotten much better, but it is still a struggle for me. I call myself a "planner," that seems to not have quite the negative connotation as "worrier," but I'm even trying to let go of making plans and being more flexible. I've never been too comfortable with change, as you yourself have witnessed, so just the ability to be flexible can be freeing. Yoga has also been a great help.

    ReplyDelete