Thursday, September 20, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 191


 Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom

If you know me at all, you know that I don’t do small people. I was a youth pastor and not a children’s pastor for a reason. Give me a drunk and high teenager, and I’ve got it covered. Give me a person who can’t tie their shoes, and I’m annoyed. Sounds horrible, right? But the truth is that we are all wired differently. Not only is that okay, but it’s a really good thing. We need different people to fill different roles.

You are probably wondering what I’m babbling about… I volunteered to help in my son’s kindergarten class the two days each week that my daughter is in preschool. I didn’t mean to sign up for both days, but somehow it happened. And I really had no clue what I was volunteering for, I just knew I wanted to help and I wanted to be in my kid’s classroom.

My son’s teacher asked if I would be willing to help with the learning stations and some administrative stuff. I vomited in my mouth a little and told her that I was willing to try anything. She told me to let her know if anything seemed uncomfortable – she obviously hasn’t read my blog. I assured her that if I was too freaked out, that I would let her know. I really like her. And I’m assuming I haven’t scared her… yet.

Today was my first day. After making sure I could wear jeans and requesting to be called “Miss Heather” instead of “Mrs. Schneider,” I took some anxiety drops and prepared to be uncomfortable.

First let me tell you, that I could not be a teacher. The teacher and her assistant teacher are amazing. They are so kind and loving to the kids. They discipline in a fun way – still not sure how they manage that. And their creativity explains why my son is loving to learn. AMAZING!

While helping with the stations, I got to spend some time with the kids one-on-one. I was astonished by how little some kids knew and how much others knew. I have no idea how two women can effectively teach 26 students with such varying abilities. Again…amazing! It was so fun to see the excitement in their eyes when I would sit next to the kids and offer to help them read or find letters. It truly was a much needed ego boost. I’ve never felt so popular!

I want to be the mom that all the kids know. I want to be the mom that knows all of the kids’ names. I want to be the mom that the teachers know (for good reasons). I want the kids to want to hang out at our house. I want to be the mom that knows what’s going on in her kids’ lives. In order to be that mom, I have to step out of my comfort one and try not to be annoyed when small people can’t tie their shoes.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I’m excited about having the opportunity to be in my son’s class twice each week. Just don’t tell our children’s pastor, I don’t want him to get any silly ideas about me volunteering in children’s church. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment