Monday, October 8, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 208




Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook:

So I mentioned the other day that we are having family pictures done on Sunday. And I might have mentioned that I’m panicking a bit about what we are going to wear. We need to coordinate, but not be too matchy matchy. Of course, my kids are insisting they wear particular items. My poor husband has no say in the matter and I own NOTHING that coordinates with my kids’ choices. I am humoring them so they humor me by smiling and being cute for the pictures. I found a sweater and a scarf at Old Navy yesterday.

Here’s where we are at so far:

I say so far because our awesome photographer, Amy from Amy Joy Photography, is going to come over tomorrow night to give the final approval for the outfits. You are probably thinking, “Wow! Talk about a full-service photographer!” Amy is actually one of my former “kids” from youth ministry. She came to our wedding 12 years ago when she was in 8th GRADE! Now Amy is all grown up with a husband and a toddler and a photography business. Putting that all into writing makes me feel super old, but whatever. Amy is awesome and so are her pictures. So consider this my shameless promotion of her work.

Anyway… we are doing the photo shoot after church on Sunday. This morning I started freaking out about things like: will our hair still look good after service? Will my children destroy their outfits before we even get to the shoot? Can I handle wearing a scarf around my neck that long? And I naturally concluded… Maybe we should skip church this weekend. Even though I don’t want to skip church.

In my frenzy, I could almost hear God say, “Hey, Sparky! Have we met? I’m God. I’m pretty sure I can handle getting you to the photo shoot without incident. And I’m pretty sure you’ll look fabulous. After all, I am GOD! How about if you let Me be in charge and you go to church? K?”

K.

Sigh. I hate when my OCD side wins. I’m so glad He reminded me who is really in control.

Are you living today like you are in charge, or like God is in charge?

No comments:

Post a Comment