Saturday, October 6, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 206


Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook:

I think my fellow perfectionists would agree that our perfectionism makes us perfect procrastinators. We want everything to be just so and spend an exorbitant amount of time thinking about and planning how to do something. All of this thinking leads to being overwhelmed. And the feeling of being overwhelmed causes us to put off what we need to do until we have time to do it correctly. Then we run out of time and find ourselves in a big ugly mess.

Couple this perfectionist/procrastination phenomenon with the busyness of the school year, volunteering, soccer, and fall birthdays & holidays and you have me wanting to crawl in bed… and stay there. 

Oh and I also scheduled family pictures for next weekend… which I’m super excited about… but we need cute outfits for the photo shoot… and the outfits need to coordinate, but not match… and my daughter wants to wear a particular outfit… and my son wants to wear his Ewok t-shirt… and I have nothing to coordinate with their choices… and I have to order the photo ornaments with said pictures by the end of the month while they are still on sale… will the pics even be ready in time?… cause the photographer is busy… and I don’t want to put any more pressure on her… why does dust have to keep accumulating in my house?… doesn’t it realized the first of several parties I’m planning is in 11 days?… why can’t Starbucks deliver and be free?… I need a paper bag to breathe into.

When I get like this, my sweet husband always says, “Take it one step at a time.” It’s always a little annoying, because I’m panicking, but he’s so right. All we can do it put one foot in front of the other and focus on the task at hand. Panicking only slows me down.

So I’m taking a moment to encourage you to take it one step at a time. Then I’m going to attempt to turn off my worry thoughts and start tackling the list.

Are you panicking today?   

No comments:

Post a Comment