Saturday, August 4, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 144

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom Find us on Facebook & join the Something Uncomfortable movement
My 3-year-old daughter insists that we catch her at the bottom of the waterslides at the waterpark. My kids haven’t really learned to swim yet, so we do what they need to feel safe and to be safe. As the summer has progressed she has become braver and goes down the blue slide without a catcher.

Today, my husband suggested that she try the white slides without a catcher. She said, “NO!” I told her she could have ice cream after lunch if she just tried. I use Starbuck’s as a motivator for myself… it only seemed fair. She agreed.

She had several successful rides. And then… she went under. Adam was right next to her so he was able to scoop her up. But when she got up, she was hysterical. We are talking ugly cry hysterical. I told her she did a great job. She found her feet and stood up. And of course, she would get the ice cream.

I assumed we were done with the slides. I asked if she was going to do it again. Through sobs, she said, “Yes.” What?!?!? That’s.my.girl!!!! We had to practically pull her off the slides when it was time to go.

After the waterpark, we headed to my son’s school to try out the playground. He’s starting kindergarten in two weeks. Vomit!!!! Sob!!!! Vomit!!! We want to make sure he was comfortable on the equipment before we send him off on his own.

While there, my son fell on a rickety bridge. In his defense, it really looks like it wasn’t installed right. It’s way too steep and it’s difficult to walk across. He almost cried when he fell. He picked himself up and tried again. Without any prompting from us, he kept trying until he felt confident walking across it. Absolutely AMAZING!

Why am I telling you this? Because this is EXACTLY why I’m being uncomfortable every day. They are watching… and learning. They are watching me face my fears and learning to chase freedom instead of allowing fear to rule them. And other people are watching. They were watching and smiling as they witnessed us cheering our daughter on while she sniffled her way back to the top of the slide. People are watching.

What are people watching you do? Be an inspiration for others to find freedom. Do something uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment