Monday, August 6, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 146

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
You know those scenes in movies where someone walks into a room and they become overwhelmed by what’s happening so everything starts moving in slow motion? That’s totally what kindergarten registration was like for me today. But NOT for the reasons I would have expected.

First there was the whole “pick up these forms if your kid has allergies or asthma” situation at the nurse’s station. There is actually a form that I have to sign saying it’s OK for my 5-year-old son to determine when he needs to use his inhaler and then administer it to himself. Are you flipping kidding me? Um, the only time he has used his rescue inhaler has been when he’s needed to be rescued by his Mommy… in the middle of the night… while he couldn’t breathe. There has never been any self-medicating. There has only been I’m going to pin you down and make you breathe this stuff if you don’t calm down and work with me because you’re not breathing!!!! I’ve made some phones calls. Vomit. We have an appointment with his allergist next week to reassess his situation since he’s off all maintenance drugs and come up with an emergency action plan for school. Shoot.me.now!

And then there was the PTO. I saw the table, realized what was about to happen and had to convince myself NOT to run in the opposite direction. I talked to the moms stationed at the table. Vomit. I told them I would be willing to help but I wasn’t sure how yet. Vomit. I even signed their little sheet and gave them my phone number. I.could.die! If I’m going to be involved in my child’s education, which I intend to be, I’m going to have to interact with new people. How did I miss that part? Not gonna lie… there have been a LOT of curse words rolling around my brain today.

Parenting is so hard that it’s just ridiculous. Not only to I have to let some strangers (that I did NOT interview and hand-pick) take care of my baby 6½ hours, 5 days a week, but I have to overcome some of my biggest fears in order to protect him and be involved in this huge part of his life. Guess I’m not going to be running out of uncomfortable things to blog about any time soon… Did I mention the back to school picnic?

If you are a parent, what unexpected uncomfortable situation did you face when your kids started going to school?

No comments:

Post a Comment