Friday, August 10, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 150


Join the Something Uncomfortable Movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
My children were so disappointed that they didn’t get to meet Melody Miller when I was on her show a few weeks ago. They heard that WIBI was going to be at the state fair and wanted me to message Melody to find out when she would be there. That’s exactly what I did late yesterday afternoon.
Somehow we ended up talking about how the Schneiders are fair rats… we go at least 5 times each year. Melody was shocked, as am I. I NEVER thought I would be one of “those” people. My sister and I went to the fair as teenagers to ride the rides and look for boys, but we outgrew that. And then I had babies and my perspective on the fair changed completely. They love it and look forward to it every year.
Melody told me to call into the show this morning to talk about being a fair rat. I assumed she was kidding. She asked what would make me think she was kidding? My fear of the phone of course! At any rate, I agreed to do it. And because Melody is super-cool, she asked to interview my kids too. Of course they agreed and singsonged “We’re gonna be on the radio” the rest of the day.
So guess what my uncomfortable was at 7:20 this morning? It went so well! The kids actually answered her questions and I think I only said “absolutely” twice. (I realized after the last show that I say “absolutely” like normal people say “Um.”) Now the kids feel like rock stars! So glad I was uncomfortable!
On a side note… I asked my daughter what her favorite part of the parade was last night. She told me that she loved the bumper girls. And that one day she wants to be the bumper girl in the black shirt with the brown hair in piggy tails. Why? So she can bump the other girls. Of course! What is a bumper girl? Is it the fair queen or a cheerleader or a gymnast? Nope. It’s a roller derby chick. I love my daughter!
What is something you swore you would NEVER do, and now you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment