Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 161

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
I have been doing Something Uncomfortable for almost six months. Yesterday was the first day of kindergarten. Coincidence? Probably not. I'm sure this process has been a preparation for things just like this.
Yesterday, my son was so excited about school that he woke up at 5:00am. Fortunately, he fell back to sleep for a little bit before we actually had to be up. We packed lunch, took pictures and remained fairly excited until we got to school. The bell rang for the kids to line up. My son started to choke back the tears. I thought I would die. We watched him go inside and then I waited 5½ hours to get him back.
He did really well. Initially he said he did not want to go back on Tuesday… maybe later in the week. But by the end of the night, he was ready and excited.
This morning, I’m finding that I’m more nervous than I was yesterday. I’m not sure why. His teacher seems great. She even emailed a daily update to us right after school. I guess I’m just not ready for my baby to be in school. In this moment, I think it would be totally alright if he grew up to be one of those socially awkward men who only want to hang out with their moms. But I’m sure I’ll come to my senses… someday.
OK parents, it’s time for feedback… How did/do you survive being the parent suffering from separation anxiety?

No comments:

Post a Comment