Friday, August 17, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 157

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
Hamm is one of my former youth group kids who has become a part of our family. She’s like one of our kids. And even though she’s 23, our kids think she is one of their peers. We love our Hamm! (Her real name is Margaret… it’s a long story.)
Hamm asked me to go on some of the big rides with her at the fair today. Adam was with us and was willing to manage the kids, so I agreed.
When I was a kid, I LOVED rides. Roller coasters, spinning rides, water rides, whatever I could find, I rode. My back and neck issues have slowed me down over the past several years. And my increasing fear of heights and vertigo have made me eliminate them altogether. So this seemed like an appropriate Something Uncomfortable for the day.
Guess which ride she chose? This thing:

It’s called the “Freak Out.” I now know why.
I did fairly well while it was spinning near the ground in the beginning. But when the swaying started, things went south quickly. Because that wasn’t bad enough, it then started spinning again… as it swayed… almost to the point of being upside down. I prayed to Jesus a lot… and out loud. And apparently I was very entertaining. Pretty sure I made the carnie’s day. But I’m cool with that. I would have laughed at me too.
Ready for the really awesome part? I thought I was going to throw up for a solid three hours after we landed. And I still have a slight headache. OH.MY.GOODNESS!!!!!!!!
So I’ve learned a few things from the Freak Out:
  1. I have a hard time distinguishing between something that is appropriately uncomfortable and something that is just a bad idea.
  2. I clearly CANNOT ride rides anymore.
  3. They name rides appropriately… consider them a warning.
In spite of the awfulness that I experienced today, I am really glad I did it. It’s that better we found this out now than at Six Flags when we are far away from home. And I now know that there is a reason why my gut has been telling me that my body is done with the big rides. But hey, Wiggle Worm, I’m heading your way tomorrow… or maybe I’ll stick to the train.
Would you have ridden it?

2 comments: