Friday, April 6, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 25

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
What is making me uncomfortable today? Well, it's Good Friday... everything about Good Friday makes me uncomfortable.

Just think about it... We are so broken that God sacrificed His only Son to pay for our shortcomings. He literally allowed His Son to be murdered to save me. Why? Because He loves me THAT much. Wow!

Who has shortcomings? According to Romans 3:23, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (NIV)

What is the penalty for sin? Romans 6:23 says, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (NIV)

Why has God determined that the penalty for sin is death? I have no idea. He's God. He is all-knowing, all-powerful and frankly, a heck of a lot smarter than you or me. He made us and He makes the rules. Rules which are meant to keep us safe and allow us to live life to the fullest. It's just like when parents make rules for their kids. We do it to protect them and keep them safe. And when they ask, "Why?" We oftentimes respond with, "Because I said so." And we say so because we are older and wiser and have more life experience. We know what we are talking about... just like God knows what He's talking about regarding life in general.

Here's the REALLY uncomfortable part:  "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 (NIV) I mean, can you imagine? Would you allow your child to be the sacrificial lamb for anyone? Much less a bunch of screwed up, ungrateful people? UM, NO!

Of course the AMAZING part of the story is that Jesus rose three days after His death. Hence Easter. And this, my friends, is why we have hope. We have hope that in the end, we will be reunited with Christ and live eternally with the God who loves us so much. AWESOME, truly awesome... and humbling.

So on this Good Friday, I pray that we are all a little uncomfortable as we reflect on the sacrifice Christ made for each and every one of us. And if you are someone who thinks this is all a bunch of nonsense... no judgement here. I didn't believe it either until I did some research. So I challenge you to investigate. Start a spiritual journey. Research the evidence. See where it leads you. Because you are worth taking the time to find the love that's waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment