Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 36

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
What do you do when you see a solicitor coming to your door? I usually tell the kids to hit the floor and we hide. No, I'm not kidding. This really doesn't surprise you, does it?

I am happy to report that we did not hide today. Not only did we not hide, but I answered the door. And I am so glad I did. This poor woman is just starting as a financial adviser and was going door-to-door to try and drum up some business. She looked terrified and was clearly thankful to be speaking to someone who was not mad at her. She asked for my name so she could mail me a thank you card... clearly she has to report back to the home office. I thought I would help, so I gave it to her.

It's so easy to be irritated when telemarketers call or when solicitors stop by. My experience today was a good reminder that these people are just trying to do their jobs. Their goal is not to ruin my day, but rather to feed their families. I'm glad that by allowing myself to be uncomfortable, I helped someone else be  a little less uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment