Thursday, April 19, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 38

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
We had to be at the allergist at 8:30 this morning. As I was brushing my teeth, I felt compelled to write this blog post about my abortion experience. I didn't have time to write it, but there was definitely a sense of urgency about the whole thing. So I wrote it. 

I have publicly spoken about my abortion on several occasions. It's not my favorite thing to do, but the sting is gone. So you can imagine my surprise when I wanted to hurl as I wrote the post. I spoke before a Committee for the House of Representatives, so it's already a matter of public record. But there is something very different and uncomfortable about posting it online.

People have been more than supportive with their kind words. And even a couple have shared it with their friends (which is truly humbling). From all of this I keep coming back to one key thought: it wasn't for nothing. My child did not die for nothing. I honor her memory by being uncomfortable and sharing our story. 

Abortion is NOT a black and white issue. Perhaps by putting a face to the statistics or to the heavily debated issue, people might judge less and love more. Teach by loving and helping rather than by hating and ostracizing.

Someone recently asked why I share my uglies with perfect strangers. Today, I realized the answer: because no one wants to be alone. That's why broken people go to support groups and group therapy. And that's why broken people run into the arms of Jesus. 

You are not alone.

2 comments: