Saturday, April 28, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 47

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
Today was the last day of our 3-day garage sale. I'm exhausted, but it was well worth the effort. We got rid of a bunch of stuff and made a fair bit of money.

My something uncomfortable happened over the course of the three days. If you are a garage sale person you know about the antique dealers and the complainers:
  • The antique dealers come early and get angry if you know what your antiques are worth and charge accordingly. They are angry because they can't buy it for a song and then sell it in their stores for the same price you have it listed for in your garage sale.
  • The complainers, much like the antique dealers, get angry if you have the nerve to charge more than a quarter for anything.
As I encountered each of these types people this weekend, I wanted nothing more than to say something like, "I have every right to charge whatever I want, just like you have the right to not buy anything at my sale. So kindly shut your mouth or leave." One antique dealer actually swore at me. I wanted to whip out my old Chicago-curse-like-a-sailor vocabulary... but I restrained myself. I restrained myself each time, because I knew I that was what I should do... and was therefore, uncomfortable. 

I wish that I could tell you that I let it go and moved on. But that is clearly not the case since I'm still stewing a bit about it. And I might have whined about it to a few of my friends and family... and on Facebook... and now I'm telling you. BUT in the moment (EVERY moment that it happened), I did not verbally accost them. So that's a step in the right direction. Right?

We will have another garage sale in the fall. I am officially making the goal to NOT complain about the complainers. This could be interesting.

Who drives you nuts that you need to learn to deal with better? How do you move past those enraging moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment