Monday, May 21, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 70

Like our page on Facebook
Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
Let me tell you about my UBER-uncomfortable morning:

  • I had to take my son to the eye doctor for his pre-kindergarten exam. I don't like new things. It was a new doctor and a new experience with my son.
  • My daughter had to pee while we were waiting to be called back for the appointment. Few things make me more nervous than leaving the waiting room of a doctor's office BEFORE being called back. Oh and she didn't pee.
  • When helping my son with the first test, my daughter snuck beside me to see. I didn't know she was there and I slammed her head into the wall. Seriously? Visualize the scene... I'm sure you can imagine my horror.
  • In the exam room, my daughter told me she had to poop. Awesome. 
  • The nurse was finishing the preliminary tests, so she wanted my son to stay with her while my daughter pooped. Not sure if this was a good idea, but I thought, "He's with the nurse, so I'll just go for it."
  • I came back to the room after my daughter DID NOT POOP OR PEE, to find my five-year-old son sitting by himself. What the...?
  • While the doctor was examining my son, my daughter said she had to poop... again. I told her to hold it. When she looked like she was going to drop a log in her pants, I caved. I left my son with the doctor and we went to the bathroom. She pooped and the doctor was still with my son when I returned.
  • When I was trying to schedule an appointment for myself and a follow-up for my son, my children became deranged lunatics. It took everything in my power to remain in control.
I wish I could tell you that I embraced the uncomfortableness and unicorns started leaping around me while pooping rainbows and gumdrops. But I can't. I did not act like a crazy person, but this was definitely not some of my best work.


You know what? I don't feel guilty about it. I'm NOT perfect. And frankly, when bombarded with so many uncomfortable things in such a short period of time, I'm thinking I'm thankful to have remained upright and tear-free.

So when you are having One of Those Days, I encourage you to take a deep breath, give yourself the grace to be imperfect, and just keeping moving forward.

Do you find it easier to extend grace to yourself or to others?







No comments:

Post a Comment