Thursday, May 24, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 73

Like our page on Facebook
Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
Based on yesterday's post, I'm sure the following will NOT be surprising: I only know how to clean the right way. What is the right way you ask? It's the insane, OCD perfectionist way, of course!

If I want to clean my house, it typically takes me 3-4 days. Because we live in a giant Beverly Hills mansion, right? Um, no... we live in a 2 bedroom bungalow. I know, it's beyond any human reasoning. And because it is such a daunting task, I procrastinate doing it. Which means the house gets dirtier and my own personal hell gets bigger.

A few weeks ago, I decided I was going to stop the insanity and figure out how to clean like a normal person. Here's what I'm doing:
  • I'm doing a general dusting and vacuuming each week. (I'm no longer dumping all of the toy buckets out and dusting each piece.)
  • We are picking up as we go.
  • I finally realized my kids are old enough to help. Each week they are tackling a deep-clean dusting project of their own.
Here's where today's uncomfortableness comes in: This week my children were assigned the daunting task of dusting the basement play room. It took them 4 or 5 days, but they finished this morning. I did not hover. I did not manage them. I did not inspect their work. Is it perfect? No. But it's good enough.

My kids are learning responsibility and the importance of being a team player and helping out. I'm learning to relax a little and let things be good enough. Awesome!

What do you need to let go of?

No comments:

Post a Comment