Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 72

Like our page on Facebook
Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
Today has been all about me learning NOT to put unrealistic expectations on myself. This is obviously very difficult for an OCD perfectionist, but whatever... my day has left me little choice.

Yesterday, my sports bra pulled my neck out. Let it sink in. Yes you read it correctly. Don't question it. Just know that these are the things that happen to me... all the time. And they always have. I believe I had to go to Prompt Care as a child on two occasions because I vacuumed my big toe. What? If you lift the vacuum slightly as you pull it toward you, you will not get those silly lines in your carpet. Don't judge... 

Anyway, I did not sleep well last night because of the neck pain. I woke up at 6:00 and took 2 Ibuprofen. Not a great idea seeing as how I rarely take pain meds and I hadn't eaten. As I began to get a bit of a buzz, I stayed in bed and went through the day's schedule:
  • Get everyone fed, dressed and ready in a hurry.
  • Be at my parents' house to workout by 8:00.
  • Be at playgroup at 9:30.
  • Home for lunch by 11:30.
  • Shower the kids.
  • Bake 6 batches of pumpkin muffins (because I had 6 cans of pumpkin and the exact number of eggs for 6 batches, so it must be God's will that I make 6 batches TODAY).
  • Blog and do bookwork by the kids' 2:00 nap (clearly I did not do the math on the baking time for the God ordained 6 batches of pumpkin muffins.)
  • Spend some quality time playing with my kids after naps.
  • Cook chicken and corn on the cob for dinner by 6:00.
  • Take a shower
  • Get the kids to bed by 7:45.
Let me tell you what really happened:
  • By 7:50 this morning, finally convinced myself that working out would not be good for my neck. (And I haven't completely figured out the whole sports bra thing anyway.)
  • Threw clothes on the kids and fed them breakfast at 8:15.
  • Got to play group at 9:31.
  • Repeatedly told my weeping daughter that I could NOT push her on the swing because my neck hurt. And then she refused to ask my friend to help her, even though my friend offered to help.
  • Got my kids home at 11:20 so my husband could shower them because my neck hurt.
  • Fed my kids left over cold pizza (which they like) and bananas at 12:30.
  • Started making pumpkin muffins like a crazy person because I had an appointment with the chiropractor at 2:40.
  • Conceded that God doesn't care how many batches of pumpkin muffins I make around 1:30. 5 was enough and I needed to get to the doctor.
  • Told my daughter she had 5 minuted to FINALLY FINISH HER LUNCH at 1:45!
  • Got to the chiropractor at 2:43.
  • Put the kids down for naps at 4:00.
  • Poured some coffee and started this post at 4:15.
Now ask me what's for dinner... how about one the 131 pumpkin muffins I made today? 

I swear, today has involved one issue after another that has forced me to let "it" go. Maybe if I stop scheduling our days down to the minute, it won't be so uncomfortable when life happens and the schedule has to be scrapped.

Please tell me I'm not alone. Does anyone else continually put unrealistic expectations on themselves and then have to deal with the disappointment when you don't meet those expectations?





No comments:

Post a Comment