Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 71

Like our page on Facebook
Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
Yesterday was just a big uncomfortable mess. Today around noon, I realized I had really not been uncomfortable yet. The break was nice, but I figured I had better get cracking. So I decided to tackle our TV situation.

We have an embarrassing amount of debt. We've been slowly picking away at it for years. Every time we seem to be making progress, life happens. We own a small construction company that does fairly well. But not well enough for me to stay home with the kids AND eliminate our debt. So we have been trying to figure out where we can cut back.

I was shocked when my husband said he was ready to give up the satellite TV. Went went years with nothing more than basic cable. Sure we missed some things, but we managed. I think it's amazing that he is willing to give up the sports stations again.

When we made the decision to cancel DirecTV, I questioned my Facebook friends to see how any of them survive without paid TV. I was shocked at the amazing options out there. Frankly, I think we've been wasting our money for far too long. Here's our new plan:
So my bit of uncomfortable today was to call DirecTV and cancel our account. I originally told Adam he should do it and had several reasons why he should be the one to call. But let's be honest, there is no reason why I couldn't call. So I did... and I survived.

It's actually pretty amazing to hear the many ways DTV will try to keep your business. It kind of made me wonder why they can't charge such low rates all the time, but whatever. I did find out that we can suspend our service for 6 months at no charge. That way we would have the option to reinstate the service without having to start a new contract. I can't imagine we will reinstate it, but on the off chance we win the lottery (which we don't play) and can't find something better to spend our money on, we won't have to sign a contract to turn it back on.

What task have you "delegated" to a loved one to do so you don't have to be uncomfortable? What are you wasting money on that you can get rid of?






No comments:

Post a Comment