Friday, March 16, 2012

Probiotics

Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
About a month ago, I started taking probiotics. Not just some random probiotics, rather the special kind that the pharmacist has to get out of the refrigerator. I started taking them because I was told that they could help with digestive issues and with your overall health. I decided to give it a whirl. Here's what I have discovered:
  1. I had to take some strong antibiotics recently. I did NOT get a yeast infection. This is almost unheard of in my silly little world.
  2. I am more regular. (Sorry if that's too much info, but we are talking about probiotics.)
  3. I recover from sugar binges more rapidly. Unfortunately, one of my ovaries is addicted to sugar. So about every 8 weeks (sometimes more often) I go on a sugar bender. This used to last for a week and it would take another week for my body to feel normal again. This time the bender lasted 2 or 3 days and it only took 2 or 3 days to recover from it.
  4. You are supposed to take the probiotics on an empty stomach before bed. This means you have to stop eating 1-2 hours before taking them. They cost approximately $1/day, so I want to get the most out of them. This means I can't nibble after dinner. Which means fewer poor food choices. I'm all about fewer poor food choices.
Overall, I'm pleased with the results. Do they really help or is it all in my head? Who cares? I'm feeling better and that, my friends, is worth a dollar a day.

6 comments:

  1. One of your ovaries is addicted to sugar? I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely sarcasm based on some truth. My ovary is NOT addicted to sugar, BUT I definitely have this NEED for sugar when I ovulate about every other month. I assume there is some sort of correlation. Nothing scientific to back this up... it's just a theory. :)

      Delete
  2. Did you get recurrent yeast infections even if you weren't taking antibiotics? Do you think they could have been related to your diet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago, I would get them all the time. Anymore, usually I only get them when I take strong antibiotics.

      BUT, I know someone who has chronic yeast infections. Her doctor suggested that it was something in her diet. She was told to eliminate gluten. It helped tremendously. I think diet can totally cause it.

      Delete
  3. What would you use to get rid of them? How often was "all the time" for you? Once a month? It started for me about 7 months ago. They cultured it and its definitely yeast. Very frustrating. I think I need to change my diet because they always come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did all of the standard over-the-counter meds and diflucan. What really helped was making some lifestyle changes: all cotton underwear (you CAN find pretty ones), a clean fresh towel for showers EVERY day, nothing too tight or intrusive.

      If that doesn't help, I would totally change your diet. Do some research, but again, I've been told that a gluten-free diet can help.

      Do you have a decent homeopathic store or doctor in your area? If not, you could certainly call The Medicine Shoppe down here and ask for a good referral. Dave might even be able to give you some suggestions over the phone as to what you can do to get rid of it.

      It is no fun... there HAS to be something you can change to get rid of it.

      Delete