Thursday, March 29, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 17

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom

Today I asked an older woman about vaginal dryness. This was uncomfortable, but necessary. I needed to try to figure out what to do about the problem.

Through this conversation, I came to the following conclusions:
  1. Vaginal dryness is more common than most people would like you to know.
  2. If people talked about their sexual health and related issues more openly, a lot of confusion and shame would be avoided.
  3. There are ways to have these uncomfortable conversations without crossing boundaries and revealing intimate details about your relationship with your spouse.
We live in a world where society has no limits on sexuality and the Church (oftentimes) is too afraid to deal with it, so scare tactics are used to avoid it. The truth is that God created sex, and He created it to be good. Maybe if we talked more openly about it, with appropriate boundaries, people would be enjoying it more. AND when genuine health concerns occur - which they do at some point in everyone's life - those issues could be dealt with quickly and effectively without shame.

In spite of being able to discuss freely the many sexual mistakes I have made in the past, it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable for me to discuss anything about my current sex life with my husband... probably because I live in the same world that you live in. For the sake of my children and their future marriages, I would like to change that. I would like them to grow up having a healthy understanding of sex, knowing the context in which it was meant to be had, and being open to talk about the potential health issues that can arise from it. That being said, you should expect another uncomfortable blog or two about it in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment