Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Women, Why Do We Do This To Each Other?

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom Find us on Facebook & join the Something Uncomfortable movement
Every day, we are bombarded by images of skinny, “beautiful” women. And we respond to those images by longing to look like them. Then we beat ourselves up when we can’t achieve the “perfect” body. We pretend that it’s because that’s what men want. But the truth is that most men don’t find skinny attractive… nor too many muscles, for that matter. 

If we are honest, we can admit that we want to look as good as our friends… or better. We are afraid of what they will think if we let them see our muffin tops. We think they care if we lost 2 pounds… or gained 5. All the while, most of our friends are worried about what we are thinking about their muffin tops. It’s ridiculous. And so sad. Why do we do this to ourselves and to each other?

Even on my quest to being healthy, I struggle with these same issues daily. And since being on Pinterest, I’ve become more aware of the absurdity of it all. I see strangers and friends pinning pictures of bodies they wish they had and exercises that promise to make their body parts look like someone else’s. Why? 

Why is it so hard for us to be satisfied in our own skin? Instead of wishing we could reach a certain weight or dress size, why can’t we focus on reaching a state of good health? And then be happy with whatever that looks like? 

I have watched my body morph over the last 9 months. As I exercise, eat proper portions of healthy foods and eat less processed foods, my body is changing. Yes, I’ve lost weight and a couple of dress sizes. More importantly than how I look is how I feel. My allergies aren’t as bad. My skin looks better. My energy is up. Even my stretch marks have faded. I am functioning better than I have in years. So why do I look in the mirror and still find flaws? UGH!

I’m not foolish enough to think that this nonsense will ever really go away. I just wish we would stop making it worse. Let’s embrace the muffin tops shall we? Cuz even after all of the weight loss, I still have one. :)

1 comment:

  1. Little late on this but just had the time to browse around again! Not sure if this should go on the FB page or stay in this comment section. Some may know/heard this but we find the flaws in the mirror as we are our own worst critic. Instead of seeing the flaws, when you look in the mirror, find just ONE thing you LIKE about the reflection staring back at you. Example "I really like the way my hair looks today" Then remember that. I struggle with this a lot as I need to lose weight...no scratch that...I am VERY overweight and that makes me feel like every other part of me is not up to par. I don't have a goal weight because I believe I will know when I get there. Its how I feel not the number. Tho I have issues, at times, in my minds eye, when I am feeling comfortable in my skin, I have this image of myself that I think others are seeing (even if not). It's hard to explain but I 'feel' myself looking a certain way - pretty, cute, etc - words are failing me know. Anyway, this feeling helps me stay positive. I ask my beautiful daughter at times if something I am wearing makes me look dumpy or too heavy. Her response is always, "you never look dumpy Mom. You are beautiful" She is the most caring, loving, unbiased teen I have known. But that is another story!

    ReplyDelete