Friday, March 23, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 11

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom

Today I woke up feeling grumpy and I had a headache. Not surprising considering the change in the barometric pressure, my looming period, and the fact that I consumed too much sugar yesterday. I knew it was going to be a Sepia day, but couldn't take it until 9:30. (You can't eat certain things an hour before or after you take it.)

Then my daughter woke up. Apparently she is feeling the same way I am today and she made it her mission to push all of my buttons. We were already running late for school, when she decided to kick her attitude into high gear. Lovely. Being the genius that I am, I threatened to NOT take her to FunShop if she did one more thing that she knew she shouldn't do. Well, six things later, I knew I had to follow through.

On a normal day, I can follow through like a professional disciplinarian. On "Sepia" days, not so much. Why is this such a big deal? Because being alone on "Sepia" days doesn't help. I was looking forward to being around people at FunShop. Not necessarily talking to any of them, but just being with the other moms, dads and kiddos. 

A good friend and I talked for a bit after I dropped my son off at preschool. She was so kind and encouraging. She agreed that even though it was uncomfortable, I had to follow through. She also had the brilliant idea to have a couple of consequences prepared and thought out before these battle of the wills happen. Taking away treats works, but I need a big one like taking away FunShop for those really difficult moments. Last year, I could threaten to put pants on my daughter... she only wanted to wear dresses. I'm going to have to figure something new out. Oh if they only came with instructions!

I took the Sepia... it's already taking the grumpies away. I followed through... which makes me sad, but glad. And now I'm just kinda down... Come on Mr. Sun, please come back out - I've been uncomfortable long enough today!

No comments:

Post a Comment