Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 1

Like our page on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom


I took the kids to the zoo this morning for Zoo Tots. (An amazing program where the kids learn about animals... check out your local zoo... too cool not to go to it!) I normally show up, focus on the kids and hope no one notices me. I am a TOTAL introvert and am generally terrified of people. Funny since I was in ministry for so long. Anyway... I talked to people I don't know and said, "Hello" to those I recognized. 

Then we went outside to play at the zoo's park. It's a super-fun park, but it terrifies me. Why? Because there is a climbing wall that my children DO NOT fear, even though they should. OK, maybe they shouldn't fear it because we don't need two more Nervous Nellys. I'm enough, right? Instead of hovering like a crazy person and limiting them to 2 or 3 trips up the mountain, I just let them play. Woohoo!

Since I was on such a roll, I decided to make a spontaneous trip to Scheels's. (I don't do spontaneous.) Since I can't find my way out of a wet paper sack, we got lost. This resulted with a minor meltdown to my husband... sorry Honey! But we got there and bought the shoes we needed. 

Then the unthinkable happened... the kids spotted the indoor jungle of germs! How did I react? I let them play in it. What? I know, crazy, right?

Phew! I survived. And although curling into the fetal position seems like the next logical step in this completely illogical day I'm having, I'm going to forge ahead and get some bookwork done.

I can't wait to see how uncomfortable I will get to be tomorrow. I figure I will be drinking by the end of the month. OR maybe, just maybe, I'll relax a little and conquer some of my fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment