Thursday, March 15, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 3

Like our page on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom

Confession time... I am TERRIFIED of the phone. It is completely irrational. (I guess most fears are). I mean, it is so bad that I have a hard time ordering pizza over the phone. I've come to the conclusion that a couple of incidents from my early childhood triggered the fear, but it has become increasingly worse through the years. I can accept a phone call better than I can make one, but either rock me to my core. 

Technological advances have certainly not helped the matter. I can find most info I need online. And texting and emails eliminate the need for most phone activity. Shoot, I can even order a pizza online.

There are only a limited few family members and even fewer friends that I can talk to on the phone without feeling like I am going to die inside. It's embarrassing and it certainly doesn't make interpersonal relationships easy.

This is something I need to conquer. And so the process began today.

I called to inquire about swimming lessons for my kids. I was nervous, but I did it. I got the info I needed and can check it off of my To Do List.

I was feeling a little crazy, so I made TWO more calls. I dropped off clothes to two consignment shops 5 or 6 months ago and have been too terrified to call to see if I have made any money. Well, it turns out that I have $27 sitting at one store and $7.20 at the other. Good to know since I need new shorts (mine are too big - yay me!) 

It's so silly. I've aired all of my dirty laundry from the stages of a few churches and even before a committee meeting of the House of Representatives. Of course those things made me nervous, but I would much rather do that then order a pizza over the phone. Ridiculous! I'm hoping today will just be the beginning of my journey to conquer my fear of the phone.

What are you afraid of?

No comments:

Post a Comment