Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 86

Like our page on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
Today I realized my children (yes, both of them) will be starting a summer preschool camp thing next Tuesday. The thought of my youngest going to "school" for the first time makes me want to curl up into the fetal position. 

As if that was not enough, I realized she will be using the potty by herself in a public restroom. Let's all let that sink in, shall we? Girls don't stand... they sit. On what? The germ-infested nasty that is the toilet seat. And what do 3-year-old girls have to do? Steady themselves by touching the potty with their hands... Shoot me now! 

This is precisely why my daughter doesn't wrangle the public potty by herself. Instead we do a somewhat acrobatic dance involving her death grip around my neck and as little contact with the potty as possible. And then I flush the toilet WITH MY FOOT.

The logical solution to the pending potty situation would be to remove her from this I-have-no-idea-what-I-was-thinking class. Instead, I'm choosing to be uncomfortable and teach her how to do it herself. And I'm going to go ahead and pretend that she won't be touching the handle with her hands. GAG!

We tried it twice at home so far. She's done very well. Except for the whole wipe the poopy off of your tooshie thing. Sigh. I guess we have 6 more days to master it.

What fear do you need to force yourself to overcome so that your children or loved ones can enjoy life more fully?



No comments:

Post a Comment