Monday, June 25, 2012

Our Un-McVersary


Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom
Our what? According to my QuickBooks file, we have not eaten at McDonald's (or any similar fast-food chain) since June 24, 2011. Happy Un-McVersary to the Schneiders!

Prior to that date, I was not functioning well because of my hormone imbalance. Some days the brain fog would be so bad that I physically could not make dinner… or lunch… or do anything that required me getting off of the couch. On those days, I would call Adam in a panic and beg him to pick up dinner. 

It wasn’t always McDonald's, but it was McDonald's A LOT! I just ran a report in QuickBooks and here’s what I found: From June 25, 2010 to June 25, 2011, we ate McDonald's 93 times and spent $1,156.96 on that nasty processed food. I.could.die!! And frankly, I’m surprised we didn’t. I can’t even fathom what the total would be if we included the other random restaurants.

Please understand that there is no judgment being passed by me if you are eating McDonald's more than you should. I get needing to survive. AND I get that we are all in different places regarding what we eat and why. This has been a big part of my family becoming healthier, so I thought I was important to share.

Since cooking at home more and making healthier food choices, we have noticed the following changes:
  • I have lost approximately 20 lbs.
  • My allergies are better and I’m taking less allergy meds.
  • My daughter’s allergies are better and she is off all of her allergy meds.
  • My son’s allergies are better and he is off all of his allergy meds.
  • My son’s asthma seems to be gone and he is off of all of his asthma meds.
  • All of us have been sick less often and when we do get sick, we recover quicker.
I firmly believe that when we fill our bodies with processed junk foods, our bodies have a harder time fighting the stuff we normally need to fight. So what do I do when I just can’t make dinner? I pull out some frozen Homemade Chicken nuggets or a Home Run Inn frozen pizza (no preservatives) or we have a sandwich. And if we need to pick something up, we opt for things like Chipotle. 

We still have a long way to go on our food journey, but the progress we have made in the last 12 months is mind-blowing! Happy Un-McVersary to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment