Saturday, June 9, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 89

Like our page on Facebook
Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom


In 2008, my husband did a restoration on a home that had a pretty severe fire. The couple involved seemed nice, but something felt funny about the situation. (Not like they set the house on fire funny…more like we aren’t going to get paid funny.) My feeling was right. It’s been over four years and they still owe us $2,200 plus interest. And every time I see their file, I get angry.
I’m working on the books for our construction company right now. Guess what I came across? Yep, their file. Through the years, we have listened to their sob story and subsequently have not pursued legal action… but I’m angry. They owe us and I want to get paid.
But then I started thinking… I owed God for all of my sob story mistakes. And instead of pursuing legal action and remaining angry, He sent His Son to pay my debt for me. Hmmm. 

So today, although it is uncomfortable, I am taking their files out of my drawer and putting them away. These aren’t bad people. Like me and you, they are good people who have made some bad choices. It’s not my job to be angry and hound them until they pay. It is my job to extend the same grace and love that Christ extended to me.
Maybe someday, they will get their act together and pay their bill. Maybe they won’t. But as of this moment, I am not going to pursue it. I am NOT going to be angry any more. And I am going to continue to trust that God will take care of us financially, just like He always has.
Are you holding a grudge and remaining angry? Whose file do you need to put away? Who do you need to extend some love and grace to?


No comments:

Post a Comment