Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 99

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom


I’m REALLY trying to be more spontaneous, especially with my kids. I’m uncomfortable every time, but the smiles on their faces are well worth whatever anxiety I might feel.
Today I let the kids run down the big hill after school. It’s bizarre, but apparently it’s tradition for all of the kids to run down the hill as soon as their parents pick them up. So I let them run. And I intend to do so for the remainder of the summer.
When we got home, I handed the house keys to my son. His eyes got as big as saucers and he smiled from ear to ear. “Really, Mom?!?!”
We have steep stairs heading into our house. I never think to let him unlock the door, because those stairs have always been a cautionary place. The poor kid is 5½ and he doesn’t know how to unlock the door with a key. So sad… and so my fault. Needless to say, we will be working on that.
Have your fears stood in the way of letting your kids learn how to do the things they need to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment