Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Our Friend Was Dating a Serial Rapist: Installment #8

http://www.facebook.com/SomethingUncomfortableSteppingFromFearToFreedom

The Hit List

I later found out that in the months that followed, Pete repeatedly broke into Tina’s house. He left roses, lingerie and other “gifts” in her bedroom.

Throughout the fall semester, Pete stalked Ashley at her college. He would be waiting for her outside her classes… just standing there… watching her.
She contacted the police back home. Apparently Pete had a warrant out for his arrest for a check fraud charge AND for some other unknown charge. The latter must have been significant because the police gave Ashley an alarm to sound should he ever show up again. They intended to come get him. The police typically don’t travel long distance to pick up a guy for check fraud… we imagined the worst. Pete never surfaced at her school again. But it is our understanding that he did serve time in another state for something.

Ashley found out from John that Pete actually had a hit list. And we were all on it. Clearly Pete was mentally ill. It’s hard to believe that this top celebrated athlete was a serial rapist with a laundry list of offenses.

I Couldn’t Do It Anymore

In talking with other sexual assault victims, I have found that we tend to do one of two things. We either never want to have sex again or we sleep with as many people as possible in an attempt to prove that we are not broken. Sadly, I chose the second option.

For me the next several years were spent drinking, getting high, and sleeping around. I was severely depressed and continually faced the consequences of leading a promiscuous lifestyle. I contracted a couple of life-threatening STDs and I had an abortion when I became pregnant at 19. I was unable to have healthy relationships with men or women. I basically floundered about for quite some time.

So I’m sure it’s of no surprise that I stopped talking to Ashley during our freshman year. I just couldn’t do it anymore. I couldn’t handle hearing about what Pete was doing. I couldn’t handle the constant reminder that I couldn’t go back home because everyone in town (except Ashley and John) treated me like the dirty whore Pete said I was. I just couldn’t handle life. So I ran away from it and hid in the new town where my mother lived… and I hid in my drunken stupors and highs… and I hid in the false comfort I found as men continued to use me.


Previous Installments:
Installment #2
Installment #3 
Installment #4
Installment #5
Installment #6
Installment #7

No comments:

Post a Comment