Monday, June 11, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 91


Join the Something Uncomfortable movement on Facebook:

It’s Monday. It’s raining. It’s our over-scheduled, crazy-busy day. It’s an allergy shot day… which means that it’s a take an extra antihistamine day… which means that it’s a Mommy’s-a-little-groggy day. And of course, we’ve been running late from the time we woke up.
I’m sure you can imagine my delight when I realized we needed to squeeze a quick stop at the grocery store into our morning. Did I mention the rain?
I informed the kids that they had to be on their best behavior because we had to get in and out without incident so we could make it to our first appointment on time. They did fairly well, so when they asked to help me scan the groceries in the self-check lane, I felt obligated to let them.
I could have done it faster and more accurately. And I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have had to have the clerk reset the register 3 times and then take us up to the customer service center to retrieve our 35 cents from the coupon that didn’t go through. BUT they had fun. And let’s be honest… can you imagine if we had self-check lanes when we were kids? I would have probably done just about anything to get my hands on one of those! OK, let’s be really honest… I use the self-check lanes because they are faster AND I think they are fun.
Spontaneity in general makes me uncomfortable. But it really makes me uncomfortable when I’m late, wet, groggy and over-scheduled. The smiles on my kiddos faces was worth being uncomfortable.
What has made you uncomfortable recently, but has made the day of a loved one?

No comments:

Post a Comment