Friday, June 15, 2012

Something Uncomfortable: Day 95

Early this morning, we learned that my mother’s brother had passed away. We then had to tell my 93 year old grandmother that her estranged son was gone. She buried her oldest son when he died training to go back to Vietnam. She buried her husband of 60+ years in late 2000. And today, the son she hadn’t spoken to in years is gone.
It’s been an uncomfortable morning.
As I have been reflecting on today’s events and some of our family dynamics, two things come to mind:
  1. Forcing myself to be uncomfortable every day makes really uncomfortable situations easier to deal with.
  2. You never know when you will die. If you have a broken relationship… seek reconciliation.
My uncle was an angry man who alienated most of the people in his life. Now that he’s gone, those people don’t have the opportunity to have closure. Fortunately my mom had that chance last week. He hadn’t changed, but she finally found peace with their relationship… or lack there of it.
I think appropriate boundaries with emotionally dangerous people are necessary. But if it is appropriate, seeking reconciliation for your own sake can be very healing.
Is there a relationship in your life that needs to be addressed before it’s too late?  

1 comment:

  1. You have written some very profound thoughts, Heather. Oh that those who need to hear your words of wisdom would listen to them, heed them, and act upon them in love, first requesting God's help and direction. Just think of what tears of hurt, joy, and reconciliation would be loosed--enough to launch vessels--were those emotions loosed to ripple and pass throughout the world. Simple words and phrases like "sorry"; "I'm so sorry";
    'Let us move beyond the past, into tomorrow"; "I love you--no matter what'; "Unconditional love is real--and I have that for you"; and "Can I pray for you, and for us?"
    Allen

    ReplyDelete