Thursday, June 14, 2012

Our Friend Was Dating a Serial Rapist: Installment #4




As I’m writing this, I feel like we are watching a horror movie. And this is the part where you look at your friends and say, “What is she thinking? Don’t go with him!!! She is so stupid! Doesn’t she realize what’s about to happen?” 

That’s exactly my point. If I had been “watching” myself, I would have seen the insanity that was before me. 

Perhaps reading my story will help someone else to make better decisions and NOT put themselves in unsafe situations. Again… not my fault, but not very smart either.

The Park

I thought we were just going to walk and talk. Pete clearly had something else in mind.

He led me to a nearby park… and conveniently by a dumpster. Before I knew what was happening, he had me pinned in the shadows behind the dumpster.
He was SO MUCH stronger than I was. And considering how drunk he got me, I knew it was pointless to try and fight him. I would only be hurt more.

Do you remember the movie The Accused starring Jodi Foster? Well in that moment I did. It’s about a woman who was gang-raped in a bar. The one thing that kept going through my mind was that all I had to do was say, “No.” If I said, “No,” then I was not giving consent. And if I did not give consent, then there was no way anyone could deny that Pete raped me.

So I said, “No.” Not once. Not twice. But as many times as I could.

When he was done, he threw me over his shoulder and headed back to the party.

Someone Called the Cops

I knew to keep my mouth shut until we got back. But as soon as we hit his street and I could see his house and the people out front, I started screaming that he raped me at the top of my lungs.

Let’s pause and review an important fact: I was the girl that didn’t back down from ANYTHING. Not from a challenge and certainly not from making someone pay for sexually assaulting me.

Apparently, I was making a loud enough commotion, that a neighbor called the cops. When the squad car arrived and the police officer started asking me what was going on, I realized just how drunk I was and that I was only 18. I thought it would be wise to sleep it off before we involved the cops.

And the cops let us all go… What in the world?!?!

Pete kept apologizing. I kept cursing at him. And then my friend, John, gathered me up and got me out of there.


Previous Installments:
Installment #2
Installment #3

2 comments:

  1. You don't even have to say no. If you say nothing you still have not given consent. If you are drunk you can not give consent. In the middle of sex you have the right to say no and change your mind and at that point it MUST stop or it becomes sexual assault. UNTIL YOU SAY "YES" YOU HAVE NOT GIVEN CONSENT. Active verbal consent has to be given at ALL times. This includes all relationships! Even marital relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that the laws have changed. Things were so different 20 years ago. I knew that if I wanted a shot at having people believe me - much less a shot at pressing charges - I had to say NO. So sad. So thankful for the men and women who have fought to change this.

      Delete